Monday, November 19, 2007

she already knows about sarcasm too

A couple of years ago there was book published about EQ, or emotional intelligence. Personally, I don't doubt that there is something to this--whether you call it charisma or being a natural born leader, some people just manage other people better. Gia continually surprises me with her innate ability to "read" people. She figured out at age 3 that if she complimented a cashier, she would be assured a lollipop (My, those are beee-outiful earrings you have...i'll take a grape one thanks).

I expect her to read me, we spend quite a bit of time together--I can tell when she wants something that she is searching my face for the right angle to bargain with.

One skill that amazes me is that she always tries to meet people at their own level, seriously, I have watched her (in horror) talk "down" to people. Sometimes that person is me. Often that person is Bill. I know she does this because she wants to make a connection with whoever she is talking to and make them feel comfortable.

This scaling is impressive and rare in adults, but it floors me in such a little girl.


A quick example, on past Halloweens I have carved the pumpkins into whatever she wants--Jimmy Neutron, Jack Skellington, Spongebob, and, infamously, Eduardo.




After Eduardo, I am never allowed to carve a pumpkin again. If you don't know what happened, then you must not live in Millbury because they announced it on the local TV channel (Thanks Bill). So this year, Bill did the carving--and he did awesome! What was funny was that she asked him not for Dora or Kappa Mikey, but for....

a kitty face (top one)


a bat



when I asked what this was, she said it was "a good try"




and nobody went to the ER!










No comments: